Friday, December 19, 2008

Travels With My Camera


It must be the time of year but for some reason I find myself thinking a lot about my childhood lived in that wonderland I knew as Ringsend.

I'd like to share with you a few more images from that time before the construction of the toll bridge, the new roads, the bringing of the ships over to "our" side of the sea wall and the property developers' arrival changed the Ringsend landscape as we once knew it. It's all in the name of progress but I'm not that easily convinced.

Above, Pigeon House Road with Coast Guard Station and old ESB chimney stack. To the left of the picture you can just about see the two upturned rowing boats lying against the "slip" wall. Taken in 1969.

Below is the beautiful sea view from between the Coast Guard Station and the ESB (I would spend a lot of my time just staring out there, it was so calming). Taken in 1968.

Below is St. Catherine's Home, a one time convalescent home for TB sufferers as far as I know. I've been told it is a listed building so I guess it still stands. It's directly across the road from the sea view image above. Taken in 1968.

Below is an image that takes me right back into my early childhood. Here we would play cowboys and indians, yes, I also played with the boys. Many's the shoot out took place from those bushes! The houses you see are actually the back yards of the Cambridge Avenue houses where I lived. That image has dramatically changed over the years as many of the families have now built large extensions. Taken in 1971.

FEEL FREE TO COMMENT

2 comments:

  1. HAPPY NEW YEAR
    MAY THE GOD BLESS YOU FOR THE HAPPINESS AND SUCCESS YOU WISH
    [CLICK BELLOW FOR THE CARD]

    http://www.images.dgreetings.com/newimages/newyear/2005/new-year-floral1.jpg

    I have read some of your posts. I would revisit, as I liked your writings.

    Naval Langa
    MY SHORT STORIES

    Another Blog
    LIFESTYLE AND RELATIONSHIP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Naval, thank you for the beautiful card and comment. I have been reading your short stories and I particularly like The Handicapped and The Salt of Life. Your characters and their experiences are so real I feel as if I am right along side them on their life's journeys. I am very happy you read my blog. Best Wishes for a Happy New Year, Ann

    ReplyDelete