Friday, February 17, 2012

Life Briefly Interrupted - Halfway Towards Recovery!

It feels like a long time since my last post and certainly a lot has happened since then. I've had my breast surgery which was the lumpectomy with wide margin tissue removal and also the sentinel lymph node biopsy (three nodes removed). Two days post-op I was discharged!

At the end of January I returned with hubby to St. James's Hospital, Dublin, for my review with the breast surgeon who gave me the wonderful news that the cancer, Stage 1, Grade 2, had not moved into the lymph nodes, my margins were clear and that I was estrogen-receptor-positive (ER+). He was also satisfied that my wounds were healing nicely. All going well my next visit to him will be in July for a six-month check-up.

A little over a week ago I had two appointments for the same morning. First up was the Medical Oncologist who informed us that a small sample of my tumour was being sent to the States to check which drug treatment I would most benefit from. This is the new Oncotype DX Test which effectively will help the doctor and us decide whether I will be having chemo or hormone therapy or both. Whatever the choice I will still be having the radiation, thirty three lots as opposed to the twenty five first mentioned to kill off any nasty stray blithers! I'm due to see the Medical Oncologist again this time up on the day ward at the end of February. As I've no idea what awaits me, I'm scared all over again.

My next post will be an edited account of those three days in hospital.

Above image: St. James's Hospital, Dublin via www.rte.ie

FEEL FREE TO COMMENT

2 comments:

  1. Stick in Ann we are with you all the way and wish you as pain free a recovery as possible in as short a time possible so you can get on with enjoying your life again.
    I look forward to some good news in your next post.
    My prayers are with you.
    All the best.
    Donald.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Donald, your warm words have made my day. Indeed, I'm looking forward to meeting up with some friends during the week for a brew and just walking around the city centre, I miss it so much! It's also great for the old spirit that there's such a lovely long stretch in the evenings now.

    Thanks again Donald, I hope all is well with you. Thank you for the prayers, very much appreciated. Take care for now. Cheers! Ann

    ReplyDelete