Thursday, July 30, 2009

A Study In Apprehension

Turning into the laneway
My six year old mind
Is once again filled with anxiety.
What shall I learn today?
More to the point
What will I not understand?.
Almost there now,
Past the red bricks
And the four stone slit windows
Then sharp turn left
I'm on the final leg of my journey.


To my left
The red brick building
Beckons to its charges,
The solitary cross on its rooftop
Portraying a false sense of holiness.
No going back now,
Mother's tight handgrip
Preventing all chance of escape.
Greying snow crunches
Beneath my sensible school shoes.


© Ann Brien 2009





The above sentences describe my anxiety which I felt each morning as I headed off to school with my mother. I have a vivid memory of walking past the red brick secondary school then turning left into the final laneway which took me to the side gate of my school. Always hoping for any excuse not to go, Winter-time usually granted my wish in the form of burst water pipes caused by the severe frost we encountered back then. I can still see and hear the semi-frozen snow crunching beneath my strong shoes.

The top image, taken by me last Summer, shows the first laneway before turning onto the next which I'm delighted to report hasn't changed at all over the years. Everything is exactly as it was.

The second image, taken by me two years ago, shows the final laneway to the school. Again, the only changes here are where the road has been re-surfaced and to the left, the area where once stood a small row of cottages now houses an exercise area.

Thought I'd share these memories with you.

FEEL FREE TO COMMENT

8 comments:

  1. Great stuff as usual. My old schools are still there but not used as schools anymore, and the surrounding streets have changed beyond recognition.
    Keep your memories coming as I am a great fan.
    Stay safe. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Donald for those encouraging words. Those memories have always remained with me and now I had the opportunity to share them. God Bless modern technology! Take care and Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing that. It was very artistic and observant. I'm glad you liked my blog and yours is good too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi John, your comment is very much appreciated, thank you. I'm so glad I could share this memory. The sound of crunching snow remains with you forever. Cheers and best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a poet you are! Great writing - so glad I stopped by! I also enjoyed feeling the love when you wrote about your father. Simply beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much suZen for your lovely comment. Sometimes my posts can be painful to write but they're usually the ones people connect with. Again, thank you for visiting.
    Cheers & Best Wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely memories. Isn't it odd how some memories stick firmly in our mids and others are hazy, or just disappear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely Lizzie, I'm always amazed at how our senses store these memories. Thanks so much for your comment. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete